Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

2007 chrysler town and country whining sound.

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 05:56 AM
Default 2007 chrysler town and country whining sound.

I recently replaced the power steering reservoir and the serpertine belt thinking that it would solve this whining sound. I then did some research and found somewhere that this could be the rack and pinion. The car doesn't have this sound when i first start the car but after about an hour it starts to make the sound. should i try to change the power steering pump or just go right to replacing rack and pinion??

Thanks

Old 12-28-2011, 08:01 AM
Super Moderator

are u having to add in more fluid? a rack will not making a whining sound there is nothing in there that will make a fast circulation motion.

Old 12-28-2011, 12:46 PM

normally power steering pump will make noise if it low on fluid or worn,,but usually if there is a noise from pump,moving the steering wheel from left to right the noise will be louder sitting still.

or take the lid of the resevior whilst running the noise will become louder

Old 12-28-2011, 10:18 PM

All Chrysler made a teriable steering systems and would not make a recall for it due to costing them millions. I have a 2003 town and country and I have the same issue. And been reading a lot about and it seems like a simple solution is to buy a oil cooler for for the power steering for 20 bucks and it gets rid of it

Old 12-28-2011, 10:29 PM
Super Moderator

What needs to be recalled? Can the noise be blamed for any safety issue? DO u know what a recall is actually for? It is for when a part on a car will cause damage to the car itself and or possibility cause damages to people in and around the van. Ford gas tanks blowing up Toyota gas pedal sticking that is a recall not a noise.

Old 12-29-2011, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by CHRYSLER TECH
are u having to add in more fluid? a rack will not making a whining sound there is nothing in there that will make a fast circulation motion.
So like pestilance said it most likely is the power steering pump???

Old 12-29-2011, 08:10 AM
Super Moderator

when does it whine? what kind of fluid did u put back into the system?

Old 12-29-2011, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by Painplaya8
All Chrysler made a teriable steering systems and would not make a recall for it due to costing them millions. I have a 2003 town and country and I have the same issue. And been reading a lot about and it seems like a simple solution is to buy a oil cooler for for the power steering for 20 bucks and it gets rid of it
An '07 should have the PS cooler.. at least our '05 did (bent up after at deer was ran over and it had to be replaced). Under the vehicle, just behind the rack and a cross member.

JK

Old 12-30-2011, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by CHRYSLER TECH
when does it whine? what kind of fluid did u put back into the system?

My drive to work is about an hour. When i first start the car i don't hear the sound and it works great. Right when i get to work i start to hear the sound and it gets louder when i turn the wheel left or right. I recently took my car to the lube shop around where i live and had them flush out the old fluid and put in synthetic power steering fluid. I also replaced the power steering reservoir thinking that the filter in the reservoir was clogged.

thanks

Old 12-30-2011, 05:48 PM
Super Moderator

fill it up above the full mark the fluid might be cavatating sucking in air.

Quick Reply: 2007 chrysler town and country whining sound.