Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

2007 chrysler town and country whining sound.

Old 01-03-2012, 02:39 PM

i too have that whine... 06 with a 3.8 75000 miles... started weeks ago and now getting louder... won't often do it around town but after few miles at interstate speed... whewwwww very loud..increases with rpms, changes with turning wheel and sounds like it is below driver seat almost... after shutting down for few minutes, at start up noise is gone... then comes back after high speeds... also showing stubborn code 420 now... and..... burnin 1 qt oil every 1000 miles.... killin me !

Old 01-04-2012, 11:17 AM

whilst the car is running and making the noise,take the power steering lid of and see if the fluid is swirrling ,should look like a mini tornado in there,also full lock left to right see if u can here a change in tone at full lock to see if the relief valve is doing its job.also if the pump aint doing its job u will find steering a little heavy..... i dont no if the chrysler pump has an oil pressure tester,that way u would know if the rack seals are worn or if it is indeed the pump.normal indication the rack is knackered (the power steering will go from light to heavy whilst turning)

Old 01-04-2012, 11:23 AM

i too have that whine... 06 with a 3.8 75000 miles... started weeks ago and now getting louder... won't often do it around town but after few miles at interstate speed... whewwwww very loud..increases with rpms, changes with turning wheel and sounds like it is below driver seat almost... after shutting down for few minutes, at start up noise is gone... then comes back after high speeds... also showing stubborn code 420 now... and..... burnin 1 qt oil every 1000 miles.... killin me !]

if u are feeling vibration under ur seat,i would be looking at a dry wheel bearing,maybe even dry cv joint

Old 01-05-2012, 01:18 PM
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by CHRYSLER TECH
What needs to be recalled? Can the noise be blamed for any safety issue? DO u know what a recall is actually for? It is for when a part on a car will cause damage to the car itself and or possibility cause damages to people in and around the van. Ford gas tanks blowing up Toyota gas pedal sticking that is a recall not a noise.
it is a saftey issue when, i lose my power steering as im driving. the noise comes prom the pump, by the time the fluid goes thru the rack its not cool enough, there for the need of the cooler. chrysler should put a recall on the powersteering replace the whole system add the cooler and replace the fluid.

Old 01-05-2012, 01:53 PM
Super Moderator

Not one mention about your steering has failed has come out of your mouth on this post. This post has been about a complaint about a noise not loss of steering. All mini vans from 2001 and up have coolers on there already. If u have a noise and the pump is failing then replace the pump that is not a recall issue. A recall once again is a known safety issue that has been found to happen in more then a certain number of vans and has been deemed by the Safety for highway and transportation to be an issue. And in all cases they are the result of the same issue by a failed part in the system. I have replaced pumps because of noise a few times but none have failed to the point of steering failure.

Old 01-05-2012, 05:52 PM

so after i replaced the power steering reservoir i still had the sound. But now the sound is gone. Im thinking it was air in the system as stated by chrysler tech or that the filter in the old power steering reservoir was clogged and now with the new one is operating as designed. I will definately keep an ear out and see if the sound comes back. Thanks for all of the help.