Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

06 T&C Steering whine/moan

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 09:34 PM
Default 06 T&C Steering whine/moan

Newbie here so please bear with me! I have a 2006 T&C with 38,000 miles and it whines and moans all the time. Totally annoying, especially in the winter here in Michigan. I've read up on the possibility of needing to replace the power steering reservoir but I don't want to start and replace something if I'm in the wrong area entirely. My symptoms are:
1) Whining / moaning coming from engine right from start up. Continues and does not go away.
2) Power steering not affected at all but with turning the wheel while in drive or parked the noise increases. Also, just increasing the idle by hitting the gas will increase the noise.
3) Where is the power steering reservoir? Is this the source of the noise because my noise appears to be coming from the pulley side of the engine.
4) Had the problem for at least a year and if it was major, I think something would have gotten worse, i.e., power steering getting harder or pulley falling off.

Greatly appreciate any input or similar experiences you may have had and how you resolved it!!

Old 02-02-2010, 10:58 PM
Super Moderator

on the power steering reservoir there will be 2 lines fill it up with ATF +4 fluid 1/4 inch above the full line.

Old 02-03-2010, 05:59 AM

Newbie here so please bear with me! I have a 2006 T&C with 38,000 miles and it whines and moans all the time. Totally annoying, especially in the winter here in Michigan. I've read up on the possibility of needing to replace the power steering reservoir but I don't want to start and replace something if I'm in the wrong area entirely. My symptoms are:
1) Whining / moaning coming from engine right from start up. Continues and does not go away. EVER? even when it warms up?
2) Power steering not affected at all but with turning the wheel while in drive or parked the noise increases. Also, just increasing the idle by hitting the gas will increase the noise. which is typical of a moving part changing speed or load condtion
3) Where is the power steering reservoir? it is the thing you pour powering steering fluid into. consult your owners manual, they will provide a picture of it's exact location. Do you know how to check fluids in your car like engine oil level, transmission fluid level, coolant level, brake fluid level, washer fluid? the only fluid left is power steering. Is this the source of the noise because my noise appears to be coming from the pulley side of the engine. probably is the source of the noise, but do you think we can actually hear this on the internet?
4) Had the problem for at least a year and if it was major, I think something would have gotten worse, i.e., power steering getting harder or pulley falling off. That would be a lot better, if the pulley fell off, then it would be a bit more obvious as to the cause of your problem. An easier way to fix this it turn the stereo up louder.

Greatly appreciate any input or similar experiences you may have had and how you resolved it!![/quote]

Old 02-10-2010, 09:18 PM

Well today I was able to get some ATF+4 fluid and I added above the fill line as CHRYSLER TECH recommended. So far it seems that was the trick. What is interesting is that I didn't think that it was low in the first place as I was checking the level when the engine was off. However, when the engine is running, the level dropped into the ADD line.

Thanks to all the techs out there who help non-techs like me!!

Old 02-17-2010, 06:46 AM
Location: Northeast Michigan. Small xroad town called Mikado.

Originally Posted by 06T&Cminivan Dad
1) Whining / moaning coming from engine right from start up. Continues and does not go away.
2) Power steering not affected at all but with turning the wheel while in drive or parked the noise increases. Also, just increasing the idle by hitting the gas will increase the noise.
3) Where is the power steering reservoir? Is this the source of the noise because my noise appears to be coming from the pulley side of the engine.
4) Had the problem for at least a year and if it was major, I think something would have gotten worse, i.e., power steering getting harder or pulley falling off.

Greatly appreciate any input or similar experiences you may have had and how you resolved it!!
I also went through this recently with my 07 TC Touring with 50k. It was fine until winter time, so I assume it reared its head due to the colder temps and possibly more viscous fluid. There is a very fine filter screen inside the reservoir that can get plugged over time and causes resistance to the fluid passing through it. I tried the suggestions of filling it up and it helped a little, but wasn't good enough. I ended up spending the whopping sum of $28 for a new reservoir that completely fixed the problem. I now figure that about every 50k miles I'll have to change it again and I chalk it up to nothing more than a filter change.
I hope this helps.

Deke
NE Michigan

Old 09-22-2010, 03:09 PM

Where were you able to purchase that screen at? I have looked all over for one and am not able to find on online anywhere. Also When I do a parts search, I keep coming up with a power steering fluid filter. It says that it is a in line filter, where would this be located at? The dealer I talked to says that mine doesnt even have one, but when I search through the auto parts dealers online, it shows up for my make and model..

Thank you for the help

Old 09-23-2010, 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by 06T&Cminivan Dad
Well today I was able to get some ATF+4 fluid and I added above the fill line as CHRYSLER TECH recommended. So far it seems that was the trick. What is interesting is that I didn't think that it was low in the first place as I was checking the level when the engine was off. However, when the engine is running, the level dropped into the ADD line.

Thanks to all the techs out there who help non-techs like me!!
Yeah, you always check and add while running.

Old 09-23-2010, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by SunrisePony
Yeah, you always check and add while running.
Just replace the whole reservoir and your problem will go away. It's cheap through Autozone or any other parts supplier. Only about a 20 minute job.
Deke
NE Michigan

Old 09-23-2010, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Fox5flyer
Just replace the whole reservoir and your problem will go away. It's cheap through Autozone or any other parts supplier. Only about a 20 minute job.
Deke
NE Michigan
I looked on Autozone and didn't find it, can you give me a direct link please?

Old 09-24-2010, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by lotsip81
I looked on Autozone and didn't find it, can you give me a direct link please?
I may have spoken too soon. I bought mine last year brand new from Ebay for $28, but I see that none are now listed there. I also checked a couple auto parts dealers and didn't find one. If you can't find one by searching the net you may have to go to your dealer to get an OEM part, but expect to pay more.
Deke
NE MI
07 TC Touring

Quick Reply: 06 T&C Steering whine/moan