Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

'97 Sebring Convertible wont start....sometimes.

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 04:53 PM
Default '97 Sebring Convertible wont start....sometimes.

I have a '97 Sebring Convert V6 with about 45,000 miles. Recently I have had a problem getting the car to start. Sometimes when I turn the key, nothing happens at all. No noise, no cranking, no clicks. Nothing. Its just dead. Oddly, the car still has interior lights. This may persist for days, but then for no apparent reason, it will eventually start normally. I can then use the car normally, drive it, turn it on and off etc. However, eventually it will die again. When this happened the first time I brought it for a new battery, figuring the battery was just dead.....so the battery and alternator have checked out fine. My local mechanic cant figure out what is wrong with it. I have had it towed over there twice and sure enough, when I get it there, it starts up just fine. Any ideas?

Old 09-09-2007, 09:00 PM
Default RE: '97 Sebring Convertible wont start....sometimes.

You probably need to replace the starter itself. There are a number of ways it can fail that are intermittent.

Old 10-03-2008, 02:32 PM

I have a 96 Sebring JX (V-6) and have the same issue as Joebigwing. Started as an intermittant problem now the car will not start at all. I replaced the ignition switch, new battery, alternator checked ok, new distributor went in last year. I looked for an ignition relay but dealer tells me there is not one on this automobile.

I did have a check engine light on codes pointed out mis-fires on all six cylinders. I am replacing the cap and rotor next.

Any great Chrysler minds out there have any ideas? Please help!

Old 10-03-2008, 03:46 PM

Does the starter make any noise when you turn the key? I had a problem like this on an old car (solenoid fired, just wouldn't start most of the time). Turned out the pin in the solenoid was broken and only 5% of the time was the pin in the correct position to engage the starter.

MRR

Old 10-04-2008, 11:41 AM

I had a problem like that years ago (lights fine but wouldn't crank) It was corrosion between the cable and battery post. It would allow enough current for lights (maybe 20 amps) but not the 100's of amps for cranking.

Old 10-07-2008, 04:32 PM

Check and clean all electrical connections first.

Just because a starter or battery checks out fine doesn't always mean they are good.

The intermittent nature of the problem leads me to the starter solenoid being worn and only functioning when it is just right. This can cause ignition problems as well during the start. While the starter motor may be strong, the electrical control circuit may not be.

Testing doesn't necessarily eliminate a problem battery though. I have had batteries with internal contact deterioration, causing low amp current passage to be ok, and high amp to fail. Similar in nature to corroded battery terminals.

The starter gets my vote as to the most likely candidate.

Old 10-08-2008, 11:50 PM

ORIGINAL: Powerflt

I have a 96 Sebring JX (V-6) and have the same issue as Joebigwing. Started as an intermittant problem now the car will not start at all. I replaced the ignition switch, new battery, alternator checked ok, new distributor went in last year. I looked for an ignition relay but dealer tells me there is not one on this automobile.

I did have a check engine light on codes pointed out mis-fires on all six cylinders. I am replacing the cap and rotor next.

Any great Chrysler minds out there have any ideas? Please help!
Powerflt,

Unless your problem is the engine doesn't turn over at all, you've got a different problem with similar symptoms to Joebigwig. There are two sensors that provide information to the ECM for spark / ignition control. One, the camshaft position sensor, is in the distributor. You've already replaced that but it may have failed again. The other is the crankshaft position sensor, it is a possible candidate for your problem.

Old 07-06-2013, 06:21 AM

I would like to get a response from Mr Chrysler Technician if possible...I have a '97 LHS that started out the same way as Joebigwig's car and I attacked it the same way ruling out all of the obvious possibilities. Several friends and I now firmly believe that it is the factory alarm system that has run amok. I didn't use the keyless entry fob at all; it is like my creampuff car has become possessed. It starts when it wants to, and doesn't when it wants to. There is no clicking, no starter or battery issue, it is the alarm "kill switch" that has been engaged and won't release it until it is ready. That used to be the following morning, but now I'm lucky if it starts at all. So Mr Chrysler Technician, there has to be a way to recover my car from this demon's grip and I need to find out how. I've tried pulling the fuse and relay associated with the alarm to no avail...with wirecutters in hand, I am ready to do battle if I can find out where to start.