Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler 200 & Sebring (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-200-sebring-14/)
-   -   CD Changer (4 Disc) in 2001 Sebring LX (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-200-sebring-14/cd-changer-4-disc-2001-sebring-lx-8746/)

lerouxmarais 07-05-2009 02:30 PM

CD Changer (4 Disc) in 2001 Sebring LX

1 Attachment(s)
I recently purchased a used 2001 Sebring LX (2.7 L). The vehicle did not come with a CD changer so I bought the stock Chrysler CD changer from eBay and connected the wiring to my Sebring's radio.

However, the changer's 5 LED lights simply blink on and off continuously when connected to the car, and it does not accept CD's. The CD changer's model number is P04858522AF (photo attached).

I suspect that the CD changer must be properly initialized with the car's junction box. Perhaps you've heard of a similar issue. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Leroux Marais

dcotter0579 07-05-2009 03:21 PM

If the radio was designed to accept input from the CD changer, then it should work. Are you sure the changer was good before the guy who sold it to you on eBay decided to dump it? Are you sure you're working it correctly? You press a button for a particular CD slot and the changer puts itself in position to accept a cd. Then you load the cd.
If the changer doesn't work, it may need servicing. Dealers don't do that work, they just swap them in and out. Most dealerships have a repair facility that they deal with. Talk to a local dealer and see if they will steer you to their source.

KYBarrister 07-05-2009 03:32 PM

Is the main stereo designed to control the disk changer? Not all of them were designed to.

MRR

lerouxmarais 07-05-2009 04:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey guys,

Thank you for the replies. Yes, the radio has a specific button which is labelled CD/Tape. The tape player is housed directly in the radio assembly, while the CD changer sits within a bezel located in the lower dashboard compartment. Moreover, it readily accepted the CD changer's pin connector into the rear of the radio unit.

I have opened the CD changer unit up and checked that there is no CD stuck inside, which was what I had originally suspected the problem to be.

I have three theories at the moment:

1) The CD changer is broken.

2) The radio is meant to have a tape OR CD, but not both. Perhaps someone has seen a Sebring with both a working tape player AND a CD changer?

3) The CD changer can only be set up by an authorized Chrysler dealer as it needs to be programmed/registered into the junction box chip.

I have attached a photo of a Sebring with the same interior as mine. The bottom-right button on the radio is the CD/Tape button in this configuration.

Thank you for your time,
Leroux

dcotter0579 07-05-2009 07:15 PM

Of your three theories, I'd bet on #1. Your radio looks just like mine, and I have a working CD changer. Yes, you can have both the tape and CD.
I don't think you need to set up the body computer differently for the CD. The radio, not the body computer controls the CD changer, and the body computer has minimal control over the radio. Does yours have the Infinity sound package? Is there an amplifier under the passenger seat? With the Infinity sound package, there's a sound profile difference for top up and top down on the convertible. Other than that, about the only thing the computer does is dim the lights along with the dash lights. Neither of those functions affect the CD changer.
You might contact the seller on eBay and find out if the thing was working properly.

gt2001seb 09-24-2009 11:37 AM

Leroux: Did you ever resolve this issue? I have the exact same problem. Picked up a changer and radio from a salvage yard in Tennessee. You dont even have to power on the radio for this to happen. As soon as you turn on the key it happens.

billybobby 12-14-2012 11:58 AM

what was solution?

I had exactly the same problem. Replaced mine with a used one from scrapyard, and immediately all the lights are blinking. Makes me wonder if theory #3 is right. i.e. since the same symptoms happening to a number of us. Please, did you ever find the solution?

rvizuet 07-04-2013 03:16 PM

Same problem

Hey,

I recently bought a Chrysler 300M 2000 and I noticed that the 4 CD changer has exactly the same problem described here. The leds are blinking all the time and it does not accept any CD to be loaded. When CD button is pressed up in the stereo, the display shows an "Err" legend, so I thought the CD changer is broken... and probably this is the real topic here. I arrived this forum because I'm looking for buying a replacement.