Forum Issues Need help with Chrysler Forum? Ask. Have a suggestion to better Chrysler Forum? Tell us here.

Engine swap 2010 to 98 Sebring

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2024, 11:00 PM
Default Engine swap 2010 to 98 Sebring

Engine swap can I put a 2010 Sebring motor in a 98 Sebring convertible

Old 04-23-2024, 08:24 AM

Why are you considering this? The least useful answer is "If you have enough $$$ it can be done".

Realistically though you are looking at a major effort if even possible. This would minimally require the engine, transmission, wiring harness, pcm from the donor. The frankenstein would not pass emissions testing.

Mechanically, it an be done. Not certain if the the electronics can be made to play together. One example would be the computer communication bus is PCI in the '98 and is CAN in the '10. The CAN bus links the dozen or so control/computer modules in the '10 that do not exist in the '98. For example, the '10 controls the throttle by-wire and the '98 uses a cable. The '10 uses this by-wire for the cruise control where the '98 is mechanical system. Not certain if the '10 pcm would work without the other control modules. Another example, would be traction control. ESC (electronic stability control). The PCM is is constant communication with the abs computer. The '98 relies on the abs controller for traction control. The '10 uses the abs control module along with the engine/trans control module to not only pulse the brake on the spinning tire but to also reduce engine throttle and shift trans gears to regain traction.

If you are looking for a horsepower increase, check out 'sebringclub.net'. A contributor there transplanted a MIVEC 3.8l (eclipse engine) into a '98(?) and documented the procedure.

Old Yesterday, 09:44 PM

I purchased a low mileage junkyard motor I was wondering to do the swap I'd like to do it off the top instead of doing the cradle thing and all the axle assembly can I just unhook it from the tranny and pull it up top any help would appreciate it thank you so much I'm working on a 97 convertible