Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

My convertible top was left stored and does not want to come out, (incomplete cycle)

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2024, 08:00 PM
Default My convertible top was left stored and does not want to come out, (incomplete cycle)

Hello, I have a problem that I don't know how to solve. I lowered my convertible top, but apparently on one side (passenger side) I did not finish closing the trunk, (it seems that it got stuck with a cable from an installed reverse camera and it did not reach the bottom), it was left open a few millimeters, I have a convertible top in operation (evic) message. I already released the cable, but now I can't raise it and the trunk doesn't open from the inside or with a remote control (I can only open it with the key) I don't know where to look and I haven't been able to find a mechanic who can try. Do you have any ideas what I could try? (I tried removing and inserting the fuse and nothing, I also disconnected the battery for a whole day and nothing) I'm already desperate because in a few days it will rain and I have no roof to store it...

Old 04-19-2024, 08:58 AM

There may be a diagnostic code present in the ptcm (power top control module) that could indicate why the top is not operating. Not all scanners can pull these codes as it is not engine or emission-related diagnostic code. Some autozone stores are able to pull codes from the ptcm. It would be beneficial to pull both the active and stored codes.

Do you hear the pump run (left-side - next to the spare tire)?

Big SWAG on my part, I suspect a broken wire in the decklid harness at the base of the right trunk hinge. There is a bend that is stressed when the trunk is opened and closed. If one of the sensor wires is broken and not reading correctly the top operation will be interrupted. The top operation will eventually time out and set a 'top operation malfunction' in the EVIC. It would be necessary to completely unwrap the harness at this bend and check each wire as the insulation may look good but the copper wire itself is broken.

The keyfob and button will not open the trunk if the top operation is not believed to be complete.

Old 04-19-2024, 08:28 PM

Hello, thanks for answering. I can't hear any engine working, I have previously checked the harness you mention, and I have not found any broken cables (apparently) I just bought the appcar software to try to extract the codes, (no store in the area could help me with that), I'm getting familiar with the software and if I can get the codes, I'll put them here. Thank you!!!

Old 04-19-2024, 11:41 PM

Attached is a repair guide pulled from the '200forums.com' forum that uses appcar to trouble-shoot the top operation. The table of sensor states might be useful to determine if they are as expected.

Check out this link for some trouble-shooting ideas - https://www.200forums.com/threads/20...3/#post-659411

Having trouble attaching the repair guide - it is in post #2 of the link

Last edited by ggoose; 04-19-2024 at 11:58 PM.